Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
Flourless fudgy vegan shamrock brownies coated in dark chocolate with festive green frosting, the perfect St Patty’s chocolate treat!
sponsored by natural delights
If you don’t devour at least one fudgy frosted shamrock brownie on March 17th you can get pinched? That’s how it goes, right?
For some people St Patty’s is all about the beverages, but for me its all about the minty or matcha-dyed sweet green treats. Because if we’re wearing green we best be dessert-ing green too, dontcha think?
How To Make The Fudgy Flourless Brownies
This is one of my all time favorite untraditional brownie-making methods with no flour, no sugar, and just 7 ingredients. Its based on these much loved brownie cups, but with a few tweaks to make them even more irresistible.
Vegan Paleo Flourless Brownie Ingredients
- Medjool Dates. This is truly the star of this recipe – the sweetener, the binder, the Medjool magic if you will. And of course I am using my favorite brand, Natural Delights. As always. We will be blending the dates for this recipe, so you want really fresh and moist dates. With Natural Delights I didn’t even have to soak them first.
- Almond butter. Or any nut/seed butter you love (I adore them with sunflower seed butter too!)
- Almond milk. Or nondairy milk of choice.
- Vanilla extract.
- Cocoa powder. This is our only dry ingredient so it’s acting as the “flour” in this recipe.
- Baking soda and salt.
- That’s it. Not your typical list but just trust me you will love the fudgy results.
Naturally Green Dairy-Free Frosting
It wouldn’t be a St Patty’s recipe without some GREEN involved. To keep this recipe vegan and paleo friendly, we are making a coconut “buttercream” naturally dyed with matcha powder. I promise the matcha flavor is not overwhelming and melds with the ultra chocolatey-ness underneath really beautifully. But if you don’t have or not a fan of matcha, feel free to use a little bit of spirulina instead or green food coloring.
Tips for The Best Shamrock Brownies
- Blend the date past REALLY smooth. A high speed blender and super fresh dates are key here, also your almond butter should be pretty runny. If you need to add a dash of extra milk you can, but don’t go much over one tablespoon.
- Let them cool COMPLETELY (and even chill a bit) before cutting. Otherwise they will break and bend and lose their little shamrock stems.
- Skip the shapes and just make the most delicious square brownies, still green frosted and very festive.
- Coat the brownies in a thin layer of melted dark chocolate before frosting. Its extra yummy and can hide any imperfections in shape.
More Green Recipes You’ll Love
- Grasshopper Cookie Cups
- Matcha Cookie Dough Cups
- Mint Chip No-Bake Cookies
- Matcha Gin Fizz
Flourless fudgy vegan shamrock brownies coated in dark chocolate with festive matcha frosting, the perfect St Patty’s chocolate treat!
- 1 cup (~200g) Natural Delights Medjool Dates
- 3/4 cup (180g) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125g) almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream*
- 1–2 tsps matcha powder
- 1–2 tbsp agave or maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Pit the Natural Delights Medjool Dates and blend with almond milk, almond butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining brownie ingredients.
- Spread into a greased/lined pan (mine was 9×6″) and bake for 23-25 minutes at 350ºF.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then freeze for 30 minutes.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut into shamrocks (or any shape you like!)
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy and creamy. Adjust color and sweetness as desired. Chill until right before using to keep it as thick as possible.
- Frost cooled brownies OR dip/coat in melted dark chocolate first, then frost.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
*Chilled overnight or longer. Makes sure you are using coconut CREAM not milk.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 179mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: gluten free, grain free, paleo, st patricks day, easy, healthy, chocolate, fudge, flourless, frosting, coconut cream, green, matcha
CLICK BELOW TO PIN