Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
Creamy chocolate maca ice cream cupcakes sweetened with dates and frosted with fruit. This decadent HCLF vegan recipe is healthier than it looks!
The cupcake for when you don’t feel like baking.
For when you don’t feel like turning on the oven or using any flour or sugar.
But for when you do want a dessert that can cool you off after a day of sun-soaked summer adventures. For when you want messy melty finger-licking chocolate decadence. For when you want to swirl on sky-high frosting so it is impossible to take a bite and keep your nose clean. For when you want to take two because it’s mostly just fruit underneath that cupcake costume.
For all those times you need these Double Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes.
Double Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes
You could argue it’s not technically a cupcake, but it’s doing a very good job pretending don’t you think? It’s really more cupcake-shaped ice cream. Or like an ice cream cake but in miniature.
To keep this recipe fruity, I used a blend of non-dairy milk, dates, frozen bananas, and protein powder for the main “cake” part. The low water content of dates mixed with the creaminess of bananas keeps the cupcakes from freezing rock solid like plain nicecream would.
I used the Sprout Living Epic Protein in the Chocolate Maca variety to flavor these ice cream cupcakes, but you could use plain cacao powder + maca powder instead. Or any vegan chocolate protein powder you like. The protein powder does add an extra creaminess boost as well.
The frosting is my favorite date chocolate frosting, you’ve seen it around here before. The wonderful fact that dates do not freeze solid keeps the frosting nice and creamy as well.
Chocolate ice cream + chocolate frosting. I personally love the phrase “double chocolate”. When it comes to chocolate the more the merrier! But when I stop and think about it, I rarely have single chocolate. Chocolate nicecream–I add chocolate chips. Chocolate cupcake–I add chocolate frosting. Chocolate cookie–let me chocolate dip that. Chocolate bar–you can be sure I’ll have at least 2 pieces!
My friend Demeter from Beaming Baker and I decided that when something is “double chocolate” food math dictates you should eat twice as many. And you can’t argue with dessert multiplication. If you need more double chocolate frozen sweetness to apply this rule too, then I suggest you tackle her Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Popsicles next!
Let’s make these frozen fruity beauties already…
>>> Pin It <<<
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 6–8 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup plant milk
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 scoops Sprout Living Chocolate Maca Protein Powder*
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder**
- Optional: 2 tbsps mini chocolate chips for sprinkling on top
- 12 pitted Medjool dates
- 2/3 cup plant milk
- 2 tbsps cacao powder
- Base: Combine the ingredients in a food processor. Process until it forms a sticky ball. Divide into 6 and press into the bottom of your cupcake molds lined with plastic wrap.
- Cream: Blend all the ingredients on high until smooth. Pour into the cupcake molds on top of the base. Fill almost to the top. Sprinkle on chocolate chips if using. Freeze overnight (or at least 8 hours)
- Frosting: Soak the dates in the milk for 30 mins before blending. Blend on high until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, frost your cupcakes then freeze for another 1 hour.
- Remove from the freeze a few minutes before eating. Enjoy! Keep in the freezer.
Or 1/4 cup cacao powder + 1 tsp maca powder
*Or 1 tsp vanilla extract
More handheld ice cream! Cinnamon Streusel Ice Cream Bars
If you are reading this in the middle of winter and you don’t want to risk brain-freeze for a cupcake, try these instead: The Healthiest Chocolate Cupcakes