Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
Roasted balsamic strawberries. I’ve heard of it. I’ve seen recipes for it. I’ve noticed it as a flavor through the glass window of the ice cream case. And now I’ve finally tasted it.
It sounds fancy, but it’s actually really simple. I was prepared to babysit the strawberries on the stove for a while, but my friend Audrey from UnconventionalBaker.com has a Roasted Balsamic Strawberries recipe that bakes in the oven. So much easier!
I threw the balsamic + berry mixture in a pan, popped it in the oven, and they are roasting as I write this. I am 4 minutes and 55 seconds away from trying a classic to most, new-to-me flavor pairing.
And you are 2 minutes and 40 seconds away from knowing how to make them with the help of this little video:
But of course I had to put my own spin on the classic. I replaced the typical sugar or maple syrup with date paste, creating a fruit-sweetened version of roasted balsamic strawberries. It’s a fruit-based, fruit-sweetened, fruit-sauced mug with a crunchy quinoa topping!
- FOR THE BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps water
- 1 lb strawberries (I used frozen)
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- FOR THE QUINOA CRUNCH
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tbsps liquid sweetener (bee free honee, coconut nectar, maple syrup, etc.)
- FOR SERVING
- 6 bananas (2 per person, or more if you want)
- FOR THE BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES: Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Blend the dates, water, and vanilla extract (if using) on high to make a date paste.
- Mix together the strawberries, vinegar, and dates paste in a large bowl.
- Spread into a shallow baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375F.
- FOR THE QUINOA CRUNCH: Mix together all the ingredients with a fork until clumpy.
- Spread on a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.
- Let it cool, then break apart.
- TO SERVE: Slice the bananas. Layer them in bowls. Spoon the balsamic strawberries over the bananas. Top with the quinoa crunch.
Balsamic strawberries recipes inspired by UnconventionalBaker.com
Have your tried balsamic + strawberries?