Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
There is something about donuts that just makes me smile…
I think it has to do with the fact that there is a hole in the middle for no good reason. Rumor has it there once was a legitimate reason for that for that peek-through-a-pastry window. Something about steering boats while eating bread. But that’s a situation I don’t find myself in too often, so for me the hole is just there because it makes me happy.
Fluffy, sugary, healthy, tender, spiced, baked, and mini! I have a feeling these Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Donuts are going to make you smile too.
About the flour • A gluten-free all purpose flour blend works best in this recipe. It will give you a soft and fluffy texture, and a fine crumb. I tested a batch with oat flour, and the texture was rather disappointing. I have been experimenting with a few different brands of GF flour lately like Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1, Pamela’s Artisan Blend, Glutino, and even Pillsbury Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Blend. I used the Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 in this recipe, and it was perfect. On a side note, I’ve found that the Pillsbury blend makes for great pancakes!
If you’re not a gluten free person, then any ole’ all-purpose flour will work just fine.
the coconut sugar coating • There is no white sugar to be found on or in these donuts. Instead I made my own powdery coating from coconut sugar + cinnamon + arrowroot powder. The cinnamon is for flavor of course, and the arrowroot makes the texture extra powdery (like the cornstarch in powdered sugar) which helps it cling to the donuts. Not only is coconut sugar more nutrient-filled and less refined than white sugar, but the taste is so much more interesting.
And after devouring one of these cinnamon pastries, don’t you dare wash those fingers. Those powder-coated digits are meant to be licked!
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1)
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Bee Free Honee (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- CINNAMON COCONUT SUGAR COATING
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsps arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR COATING: Blend all the ingredients on high until fine and powdery. Your blender must be VERY dry, so do this step first.
- FOR THE DONUTS: Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Blend the banana, non-dairy milk, coconut sugar, and honee in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Using a piping bag or a ziplock, fill your donut pan. If you don’t have a donut pan, then you can use a mini muffin pan. If your muffin or donut pan is not silicone, be sure to oil or line it.
- Bake for 11 minutes at 375F.
- Allow the donuts to cool completely. Seriously. Completely cool.
- Once cool, coat in the powdered coconut sugar. Be sure to coat them immediately before serving because with time, the coconut sugar will begin to dissolve. It will still taste good but no longer be that perfect powdery coating.